Art & Story 165 – The Big Character IV
This week we talk about Kevin’s recent experience with the 30 Characters in 30 Days project, and leap off of his observations to dive into our process and thinking strategies when designing our own characters.
Throughout our discussion we cover the following:
- Using shape to investigate character
- Working from a personality concept towards the outer appearance
- Working from a story role to a personality to an outer appearance
- Working from an outer appearance to a personality
- The role of line type, style, and abstraction in designing characters
Links mentioned in this episode:
Kids Read Comics – Table applications opening up soon!
Jerzy’s new email newsletter on the Comics Are Great site.
Jerzy’s design for Princess Win
Mark’s Subterra process blog
Kevin’s 30 characters
The Art & Story Theme is written and performed by Mike Gilmore & Mike Johnston of The Northwoods Improvisors.
Audio hosting for Art & Story is provided by Ka-Blam Digital Printing